Carrot Cake is one of my favorite cakes. Although Amma never baked carrot cake – I am quite sure my love for this spicy veggie cake stems from fond childhood memories of freshly picked carrots from our garden. The carrot patch was located at the front of the garden, adjacent to the strawberry patch. Like the strawberries we anxiously awaited the arrival of new produce. We used to pull the carrots off the ground, rub away the excess mud then wash with a hosepipe before enjoying the sweet fruits of Amma’s labor in the garden.
Best Carrot Cake Recipe
Carrot cake is an excellent means for using up excess carrots. I have not made carrot cake in a few years-but stumbled on this recipe quite by accident while attempting to make the best carrot cake in Canada. I am not particularly fond of following recipes step by step (though I do encourage readers to follow my instruction) – I think I may have inherited Amma’s intuitive method of preparing food – In this instance I forgot to add the pineapple pulp which resulted in a rather thick cake batter. To correct this I added an additional egg deviating from the original recipe on Canadian Living. Eventually I realized I had forgot about the pineapple pulp…but added it anyway with unexpected results-a perfect carrot cake.
This recipe uses oil instead of butter which results in a rather light crumby cake texture. Other ingredients include pineapple pulp which accentuates the sweet aroma of the cinnamon and nutmeg. I recommend using a rectangular cake pan.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 24cm x 20 cm rectangular cake
400g cake flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoons baking soda / bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg
30g granulated white sugar
30g granulated brown sugar
half teaspoon salt
2 cups grated carrots
1 cup pineapple pulp (fresh or canned pineapples crushed)
175ml vegetable oil
4 medium eggs
pecan nuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius. I used the fan function in my oven/use the settings most appropriate for baking in your oven.Peel then grate the carrots.
2. Sift the flour.Add nutmeg cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
3. Combine the eggs, oil and sugar to form a thick creamy mixture.
5. Place in a lined baking tray.
6. Turn the oven to 180 degrees Celsius then bake for 40 minutes or until the cake is cooked. Use a toothpick to test if cooked.Insert a toothpick into the cake.If it pulls out clean then the cake is cooked.
7. Allow to cool before applying frosting.
250 g mascarpone
125g icing sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Combine the Mascarpone, icing and lemon juice to form a creamy mixture like icing sugar.
2. Apply to cake once cooled.
Food Like Amma Used To Make It wishes all readers a safe and happy Easter Weekend!