My son has a birthday during the fasting period (Purtassi), so finding the best eggless birthday cake recipe has been one of my prime pastimes lately. Last year I made an eggless chocolate cake decorated with Fireman Sam figures. This years theme looks set to be pirates! To practice for the big day, I made tried this vanilla sponge cake using buttermilk and olive oil. This recipe results in a soft, moist cake. Perfect for making layer cakes sandwiched with icing or jam. I was very pleased with the result, hence this post to share it with you. Instead of buttercream icing, I opted for a cream cheese frosting and topped with hundreds and thousands just like Amma used to make our birthday cakes.
What are eggless cakes made of?
Common substitutes for eggs in cakes include yogurt, sour milk or buttermilk. The reaction between baking powder and the dairy products allows the cake to rise. Vegan substitutes include applesauce, mashed bananas, vinegar + baking powder; flax seeds to name a few. I have yet to try these substitutes.
PCC Markets has an extensive egg substitute guide.
How To Make A Cake Without Eggs
Bake. Allow to cool then decorate as desired.
The Best Eggless Birthday Cake Recipe
easy eggless birthday cake ideas how to make eggless birthday cake ,eggless birthday cake recipe at home
The Best Egg-less Birthday Cake Recipe
- 11/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup buttermilk or full fat yogurt
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup of icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius
- Combine buttermilk, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Set aside for 3-5 minutes until the mixture bubbles and rises.
- Grease two 12 – 14 cm round cake pans. I used olive oil to grease. Alternatively use baking paper.
- Sift flour and icing sugar.
- Add olive oil to the buttermilk mixture. Slowly sift in the flour and sugar.
- Combine to form a silky smooth batter.
- Pour batter evenly into each cake pan. Bake for 35 minutes. Times may vary depending on the type of oven used. I used the fan function which cooked in 35 minutes. To test if the cake is cooked poke with a skewer stick if it comes our clear the cake is ready. Allow cooling before removing for cake pan.
- Decorate as desired.
Sat. Fat (grams)
Did you make this recipe?
How to Decorate This Cake
Decorate as desired. I used a cream cheese frosting for which I used 150g plain cream cheese, 2 tablespoons butter (at room temperature) and 1 cup of icing sugar. Combine until smooth then decorate once the cake is cooled. For easy sugar-free decoration, kids birthday ideas, use play figures.
I have saved a few of my favourite Egg less cake recipes from the web on my Pinterest Board of the same name. For more inspired baking ideas, tips and decor check out my Pinterest Profile. Happy Baking!
Hi. How much yougurt do you use. And plain full cream or double cream yougurt ? Thanks. Look forward to trying it.
Hi, I used 1 cup of buttermilk. I recommend using the same quantity of full cream yogurt. Double cream may result in a more dense cake texture from the higher fat content.