There are so many reasons to love this cake. Fragrant ingredients like orange and cardamom and no flour, butter or oil. A cake with a dense, pound cake-like texture, made without flour, butter or oil? Sounds impossible right? this whole orange and almond flour cake is just that. A cake without the ingredients listed but results in a dense pound cake-like texture with the sweet aroma of orange and almonds. It is made with whole oranges, peel and all! The oranges are boiled then blended to form a thick paste-like texture, which combined with eggs, ground almonds and baking powder results in a perfect cake. Added cardamom adds to the appeal of this cake. It is reminiscent of a Persian love cake or Spanish and Italian orange sponge cakes. It also reminds me of semolina cake but a less calorific version.
How to Make Whole Orange Cake
I came across an image on Pinterest, pinned from the Blog Diary of a Ladybird. The author credits her source as a recipe from Gourmet Traveller (December 2009/January 2010 issue). I simply had to try it myself. It is by far one of the best flour less cake recipes. My first attempt did not work out too well so I made a few adaptations from the source of my inspiration. I found the mixture to be too weak and required a longer cooking time. This resulted in a very burnt cake on the outside. It was also a bit too bitter, I recommend sweet or ripe oranges. I also reduced the orange quantity using one and a half oranges instead of two. I reduced the sugar content and added stevia. I baked the cake at 150 degrees Celcius. This worked much better than my first attempt. The original recipe served the cake with an orange blossom yoghurt. I used mascarpone cream instead.
To make this cake, I removed boiling the oranges the day before you intend making the cake, or at least a good few hours ahead so that they have time to cool.
Whole Orange Almond Cake with Cardamom Recipe
Whole Orange Almond Cake with Cardamom
3 H & 30 M
27 H & 30 M
- 1,5 oranges
- 5 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons stevia
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb
- 300g almonds
- 150 g mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 tablespoon almond slivers for decorations
- Prepare the oranges a few hours or a day before you intend making the cake
- place in a deep pot. Cover with water and top with baking paper over the water. Cut a hole in the baking paper to allow steam to escape. This will allow for gentle cooking.
- Boil for 2 hours. Remove from heat. Cool
- Cut the oranges in quarters. Remove seeds
- Blend until smooth.
- Place the eggs in a bowl. Beat with sugar and stevia. Add the orange mixture.
- Add almond flour, cardamom, baking powder and bicarb
- Combine until a thick batter forms.
- Line a cake pan with baking paper. I used a 14cm round pan.
- Pour mixture into the pan.
- Bake for 90 minutes at 150 degrees celsius in a preheated oven.
- Allow to cool . Prepare the mascarpone cream
- Combine mascarpone and icing. Apply onto the cake.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
Sat. Fat (grams)