While the origins of Chicken Tikka Masala remain unknown, it is one of the most favoured dishes in Indian restaurants world over. Chicken Tikka Masala like Chicken Korma and Butter Chicken who’s roots stem from North Indian culinary influences, are similar in composition – grilled chicken in a creamy sauce – definitely not characteristic of everyday Indian food.
Chicken Tikka Masala can at best be described as marinated grilled chicken simmered in a creamy tomato sauce. While recipes vary most Chicken Tikka Masala have a characteristic orange color. Cooking techniques also vary from tandoor or gas grills but it is still fairly easy to make restaurant like Chicken Tikka at home.
How to Make Chicken Tikka Masala at Home
Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
Prep time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 500g chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garamasala for chicken and 1 teaspoon for the tikka sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger and garlic
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped coriander
- 2 medium sized fresh green chillies
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 175ml fresh cream
- chopped coriander for garnishing
- half teaspoon salt
1. Marinate the chicken overnight or at least 1 hour prior to cooking.
Dice chicken breasts into cubes. Sprinkle with salt and 1 teaspoon garamasala. Cover with yogurt. Mix until the chicken is evenly coated with yogurt. Cover and place in the refrigerator.
3. To cook the chicken, place marinated chicken on a baking tray or on skewer sticks. The chicken can be grilled in the oven or over hot coals or in a pan on the stove. Grill for 6-8 minutes turning until all sides are evenly browned. Remove from heat then add to Tikka sauce (Step 7)
4. Prepare the Tikka sauce. Add oil to non stick pan on medium heat. Add chopped onions. Cover for 4-6 minutes lower heat – fry until the onion has softened.
5. Add 1 teaspoon chopped coriander to onion. Add green chillies and ginger and garlic. Fry for a minute or two before adding garamasala and paprika. Mix to combine. Fry for a minute or two.
6. Add chopped tomatoes. Cover and simmer on low heat for 10-12 minutes.
7. Add cream to tomato sauce. Simmer for 2-3 minutes on low heat then add grilled chicken to Tikka sauce. Simmer for 5-7 minutes on low heat.
8. Remove from stove. Top with chopped coriander.
9. Serve Chicken Tikka Masala with basmati rice or Naan Bread.