Apart from serving as a mainstay of the perfect Durban Beans Bunny – white kidney beans also serves as a delectable spread or dip when puréed . The neutral taste of white beans enables their versatility of taste sensations when combined with different spices. This simple white bean dip involves braising white beans with cumin seeds and chili flakes then blending with garlic and lemon juice to form a creamy- guilt free snack or filler for pita breads.
Spicy White Bean Dip Recipe
Recipe By Georgia
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 Minutes
- 300g canned or pre boiled White Kidney Beans
- 1 leveled tablespoon cumin seeds
- Half teaspoon chilli flakes (or desired limit )
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- Half teaspoon garamasla
- Half teaspoon salt
- Half teaspoon olive oil for braising
- Additional olive oil for topping
- 75ml lukewarm water or plain yogurt
- Optional Coriander
1. Heat a pan on medium heat. Toast cumin seeds.
2. Add oil. Add the kidney beans. Add chill flakes and crushed garlic. Retain on heat until the beans start to brown slightly. Add garamasala and salt. Braise for 2-4 minutes on low heat.
3. Remove from heat. Allow cooling for 5 minutes then add lemon juice and water or yogurt. Blend to form a smooth paste.
4. To weaken the consistency of the bean dip add boiled cooled water or yogurt.Top with olive oil. Serve with toasted pita bread or sliced vegetables.