This post features two recipes and tips for a vegan alternative.
For convenience, simply choose the recipe you prefer or scroll to read the full post.
Condensed Milk Coconut Ice with aka Flop proof Coconut Ice
There are two methods for making coconut ice. The first is to use condensed milk, this may be the simplest method of making coconut ice. I have tried several coconut ice recipes-the one which worked best is this one, adapted from Scottish Recipes. I use equal amounts of icing sugar and coconut combined with a can of condensed milk an equivalent amount of my homemade condensed milk.
Easy Condensed Milk Coconut Ice
Boiled Coconut Ice
|© 2011 l www.foodlikeammausedtomakeit.blogspot.com
The best coconut ice recipe (according to my taste buds) is coconut ice made from boiled milk and sugar. The recipe I have used yields a 12cm x 12cm block. To make a larger quantity increase the ingredients proportionately. The ratio of coconut: milk: sugar is important for achieving the right texture of the coconut ice.
Some Tips For Making Boiled Coconut Ice
Though it is a fairly simple recipe-it does require a few precautionary measures:
1. The thickness of the coconut ice is determined by the size and depth of the pan you intend using.
2. The color will vary depend on the amount of coloring you use.
3. Take care not to burn the sugar/milk mixture –this will turn the mixture a dark yellow color.
4. Use lemon juice or cream of tartar to prevent the sugar from crystallizing
5. The type of coconut used will also determine the texture of the coconut ice. I have used a rather coarsely grated coconut which results in a more rough texture. Using fine coconut will result in a finer smoother coconut ice texture.
6. Put the mixture in a greased pan.
7. Allow the coconut ice to set for as long as possible it is best to make in the evening then allow to set overnight.
7. Coconut Ice can be stored up to 7 days.
Boiled Coconut Ice Recipe
How To Make Two Colored Coconut Ice
To make two colored coconut ice then follow the instructions in the recipe then separate the mixture into two portions. Add your desired colour to the mixtures.Press the first color into the pan then add the second color then refrigerate as per the instructions above.
How to Shape Coconut Ice
Coconut ice is commonly cut into squares or sticks, they can also be cut with cookie cutters or rolled . I have tried a few variations in decorating them, one option is to add coconut flakes for total coconut taste! and brush with edible gold for glam.
Alternatively roll to make coconut wheels.
Vegan Coconut Ice
To make vegan coconut ice substitute condensed milk in the recipe with vegan condensed milk made from coconut milk.
To make a boiled vegan coconut ice, cook the coconut condensed milk for longer until the sugar starts to crystallize, then add coconut. Remove from stove and place in a dish to set. Setting time is at least 2 hours.