Like its name implies this ‘pick me up‘ Italian treat is layered with luscious ingredients, forming a taste sensation to cheer anyone up! Key components in tiramisu are dipped lady fingers covered with a mascarpone cream and topped with cocoa powder. Variations from this original recipe are diverse in ingredients as they are in composition . Some recipes dip the lady fingers in coffee or alcohol like Marsala wine, while others use an egg less mascarpone cream. The recipe shared here is an easy one with homemade gluten free lady fingers and mascarpone cream without eggs. I also made two variations of tiramisu in one bowl. A kid friendly alcohol free one and one with raspberries and alcohol. I opted for piped mascarpone cream for visual appeal.
How to Make Tiramisu
Like trifle, it is made up of layers. In this case alternate layers of soaked lady fingers and mascarpone cream.
Lady fingers can be soaked on coffee or for a kid friendly version, I use cocoa instead of coffee. Mix a tablespoon cocoa in half a cup of water, allow to cool before dipping sponge fingers.The fingers should be dipped so that they are soggy and bind together forming a spongecake like layer.
Common alcohol for soaking sponge fingers is Marsala wine (not to be confused with Masala- a mixture of spices). Marsala is sweet and tastes much like sherry and port wine.
The secret to making the best tiramisu is both the sponge fingers and the mascarpone cream. The cream should not be too runny, but just firm enough to pipe. The original Tiramisu recipe uses a combination of eggs and mascarpone.
For an egg less version, I use whipping cream instead of eggs. The cream and sugar should be whipped until soft peaks form then combine with mascarpone cream to form a soft cream mixture that can be piped or spread easily.
I usually prepare the cream component first then soak the fingers before assembling.
Tiramisu should be left to set in the fridge for a minimum of four hours.
A Bowl of Two Tiramisu’s
I made a bowl of two different Tiramisu flavours in one bowl. The essential ingredients are the same. For the Raspberry Tiramisu I simply added a layer of fresh raspberries after the mascarpone cream. Instead of coffee or alcohol, use a raspberry liqueur or syrup to soak the lady fingers.
I covered the raspberry portion with foil when dusting with cocoa powder.
Easy Tiramisu Recipe
Easy Tiramisu With Egg less Cream
- 24 lady fingers
- 250ml Marsala wine (or coffee or cocoa for a non alcohol version)
- 300g mascarpone cream
- 250ml fresh cream
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa for dusting
- Prepare the cream by whipping cream until soft peaks forms. Add icing sugar and a little mascarpone cream then fold to form a soft cream. Set aside.
- Prepare the lady fingers. Dip in Marsala wine, coffee or cocoa. Place in a baking dish or pan of choice.
- Top with a layer of cream, followed by another layer of sponge fingers and cream, until all lady fingers are used up.
- Dust with cocoa powder.
- To make the raspberry tiramisu, add a layer of fresh raspberries after the cream.
- Place in the fridge, allow to set for a minimum of four hours before serving. Dust with cocoa powder before serving. (not over the raspberry section).