Despite the rustic appeal of cracked chocolate cookies – its constituents and taste are far more luscious than meets the eye. This decadent chocolate cookie in its basic form is made up of melted dark chocolate and a combination of eggs, ground almonds, flour, butter and sugar. Apart from my favorite ingredients – I love that these cookies don’t require any cutter of sorts. Simply roll into a ball – coat with powdered sugar then bake. The cracks form in the oven as the chilled dough expands.
This recipe is a kid friendly (i.e. alcohol free) version inspired by Cracked Chocolate Cookies featured in Ready for Dessert.
Simple enough for the kids (my adorable cookie loving nephews) to try some time during their 11 week school break – do exercise caution when melting the chocolate this requires adult supervision.
Cracked Chocolate Cookie Recipe
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 8 minutes
Total time: 68 minutes
Yield: Makes approx.30 x 3.5cm diameter cookies;
- 200g dark chocolate
- 120g flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 50g butter
- 40g sugar
- 200g icing sugar for dusting
1. Melt the chocolate and butter. Remove from stove.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder. Add ground almonds and sugar.
3. Add the eggs to the chocolate butter mixture. Combine then add to the dry ingredients. Mix to form a smooth batter. Do not add any additional flour the batter will thicken once refrigerated.
4. Place in the refrigerator for an hour.
5. Preheat the oven 10 minutes before you intend baking the cookies.
6. Remove from refrigerator. Scoop the batter with an ice cream scoop or use a tablespoon for equal sized cookies. Roll into 3cm diameter balls then coat in icing sugar (powdered sugar).
7. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Once the cookies have cracked remove from oven. Allow to cool. Store in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator during summer months.
P.S. I would like to thanks readers for the many emails. I will respond to them in due course.