Healthy Homemade Crumbed Chicken
Baked homemade crumbed chicken serves as a healthy alternative to its commercially available fried counterparts. Apart from controlling the quantity and quality of oils one can also control the type of crumbs used – like this recipe which uses rye crumbs. Crumbed chicken thighs was a common Saturday dinner in our home – baked with gem squash and potatoes and served with Amma’s special gravy made from the process of boiling the chicken thighs. Although this method of making crumbed chicken worked well at the time – it was simply Amma’s method for reducing cooking time in her unpredictable oven. This recipe for crumbed chicken thighs does not require pre cooking –thirty minutes in a 180 degree Celsius oven results in perfectly crisp chicken. Dark rye crumbs accounts for the dark color (depicted below).
Tip: When using frozen chicken pieces I recommend defrosting the chicken overnight – in the fridge. I also recommend removing the skin and excess fat. This recipe uses one teaspoon of butter spread across the chicken thighs as dots- alternatively you could apply vegetable or olive oil to the pan to give the crumbed chicken its crispy texture.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 8 chicken thighs
- 200g bread crumbs (see recipe here)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or oregano
- Remove the excess skin and fat from the chicken. Pat dry.
- Add seasoning to crumbs. Mix well to combine
- Whisk the eggs.
- Immerse the chicken in egg then dip into the crumbs.Cover the surface of the chicken evenly.
- Place chicken in a lightly greased baking pan.
- Place 3 or 4 dots of butter on the chicken thighs.
- Bake for t 180 degrees Celsius for 30-40 minutes. After 15 minutes in the oven turn the chicken then dot once more with butter.
- Once cooked remove from oven serve warm or cold .