I have used broccoli, peas and zucchini as the greens in this recipe you can use vegetables of your choice. The addition of tomatoes provides a sauce for the greens -a healthier alternative to white sauce or creamy pasta dishes.(save the cream for “once in a while” treats like doughnuts)
Vermicelli with Braised Greens
Cook time: 7 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Yield: Serves 2 people
- 80g vermicelli
- 6 cherry tomatoes or 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- quarter cup broccoli
- quarter cup zucchini
- quarter cup peas
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- half teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon masala or chilli powder
- half onion sliced in rings
- 50ml water
- Prepare the greens.Slice fine. Break the broccoli into small florets to reduce the cooking time.
- Heat a pan on medium heat. Add the oil. Add the onions.Fry until soft.
- Add the spices.Mix. Braise for a minute or two. Add the tomatoes.
- Add the zucchini, broccoli and peas. Add 50ml water. Add salt. Cook for 5/7 minutes until the water has evaporated.
- Prepare the vermicelli per instructions on the pack.
- Drain. Place vermicelli in the braised greens mixture. Toss. Serve warm.