How to Make Doughnuts From Scratch Without an Electric Mixer or Doughnut Trays…
Fresh Cream Doughnuts are cylindrical doughnuts (shaped like hot dog rolls) with a cream filling – occasionally topped with jam or cherries. I can’t think of many childhood memories that didn’t include fresh cream doughnuts – early childhood memories of doughnuts in the supermarket we once owned-the ones we got on School Sports Day and the lingering smell of Amma’s jam doughnuts when we got home from school. Amma usually made ring doughnuts dipped in syrup or coconut and usually filled cylindrical ones with jam or butter cream icing.The recipe shared here is from scratch…without a mixer or doughnut trays…just like Amma used to make it!
Prep time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
Yield: 18 medium sized doughnuts
40g butter or margarine
1 package instant yeast (7g )
1 medium egg
40g granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
500g cake flour plus more for dusting surface
400ml vegetable oil, for frying
175 ml fresh cream or butter cream icing
2 tablespoons apricot jam (optional)
- Warm the milk then add sugar until dissolved. Combine this with the instant yeast. Cover and leave aside for 5-7 minutes.
- Sift the flour.Add nutmeg. Add the butter to form fine breadcrumbs. Use a pastry cutter of knife to form fine crumbs.
- Combine the egg and milk mixture with the flour to form a soft pliable dough. If the dough appears a little sticky…keep kneading- don’t add any additional flour as this will make the dough too hard. Doughnuts should have a soft texture. Knead continuously for 10 minutes to ensure that the yeast is combined with the flour. Cover and leave aside in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Punch the dough flat then break small 4cm diameter balls. Roll between palms until elongated. Place the shaped doughnuts in a lined pan then cover and allow to rise for further 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oil on medium heat .The oil should not be too hot as this will result in the doughnuts browning before they are cooked.
- Cut across the length of the doughnut .This will prevent the doughnut from cracking and helps to cook the doughnut.
- Place the doughnuts in the oil. Fry for 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Turn to allow even colouring.
- Once cooled apply fresh cream or butter cream icing to the center. Top with jam if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator.
How to make Ring Doughnuts
1. To make ring doughnuts roll the dough into a ball then roll between the palms until elongated. Join the two ends to form a torus shape.
2. Fry as per instruction for fresh cream doughnuts.
3. Ring doughnuts can be dipped in syrup or coated with castor sugar or glaze.
21 March: A Special Day
21st March is a celebrated day-it commemorates the Sharpeville Massacre (1960), it is the date of the third and successful civil rights march led by Dr Martin Luther King (Alabama ,1965), it is the day of the March Equinox – but most special to me is that it is the birthday of my sister. Happy Birthday J!