The filling for pies should not be soggy-it should never be so weak that it spills through the pastry. Similarly if you prefer to use spices in your chicken pie-use less oil so to avoid an oil soaked pie which also leaves the bottom of the pie with a very unattractive orange stain. This particular recipe is a variation of Amma’s chicken and mushroom pie recipe-especially for my twin nephews who apart from disliking spicy food –also like to pick out vegetables. Instead of using chopped carrots and peas like the traditional chicken pot pie recipe – I have grated the carrots to make them more kid friendly.
This recipe makes 10 small pies.
- 2 skinless chicken breasts-cut into small pieces
- 2 medium sized carrots (grated)
- 2 sticks shallots or spring onions or half an onion chopped finely
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 175ml fresh cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Half cup water
- Quarter cup water
- 1 egg
- Crushed black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 packet readymade puff pastry
Optional: if you prefer to add a little spice to your chicken pie then add half a teaspoon of garam masala and no more than 1 teaspoon of chilli powder-similarly you can also use finely sliced green chillies.
1. Heat a pan on medium heat. Add the oil. Add the onions. Sauté until slightly brown.
2. Add the chicken pieces. Add the black pepper. Allow the chicken pieces to brown slightly.
3. Add grated carrots and mushrooms. Add half a cup of water. Add salt. Allow to cook for 10 minutes.
4. Combine the egg white with flour and quarter cup water. Mix well to form a paste then add to the chicken.
5. Add the cream. Allow to cook until the mixture boils and appears thick enough to spoon. Remove from stove then spoon into prepared pastry.
6. To prepare pastry- roll out the readymade pastry then cut to suite your pan. Place into a greased pan then spoon the chicken mixture into the pastry.
7. Brush the pastry with the egg yolk then make two holes in the pastry with a toothpick. This will keep the filling from spilling out the sides of the pastry.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes in a preheated oven until the pastry turns slightly brown, Serve warm with a salad.