Amma often reserved chicken wings for her maren sulo curry (chicken wings, necks or feet braised in a spice referred to as ‘birth masala’). Unfortunately I have no birth masala within reach. For now I prefer my chicken wings sweet and spicy. For this I often use Sriracha-Sauce, Tabasco Sauce, or Ketchup and in this recipe Mango Chutney. These already ‘in the fridge’ ingredients can be combined with minimal ingredients to make something delicious without too much hassle. Simply combine sauces with salt, spices and olive oil. Toss, place in the oven, enjoy!
Make Easy Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings at Home
Chicken wings make for a great starter, snack or even main meal. Making it is easier than one would imagine. Bottled Chutney is one of the best ingredients to marinade sweet and spicy chicken wings with. The chutney already has spices added to it and fruit gives chicken wings a delicious caramel taste and stickiness when baked. Use chutney on its own or combine with Tabasco sauce. I used Mango Chutney; you can use similar bottled Chutney, peach or other fruit or tomato sauce (ketchup). To vary the degree of spicyness or hotness adds more or less Tabasco sauce. If you have no Tabasco or hot sauce then add paprika or chili powder mixed in olive oil to make your own easy marinade.
How to Prepare Chicken Wings
Chicken wings often come in whole wing form. To cut chicken wings simply open the wing, look for the middle point, or joint that joins the two parts of the wing. Cut directly on the joint. This will result in two pieces.
Wings can sometimes still have feathers on them, for larger feathers simply pull out. For smaller finer feathers I simply sear them over the gas burner. To do this hold the wing about a centimeter or above the flame.
Easy Spicy Chicken Wings Recipe
- 1 kg chicken wings
- Half a cup mango chutney or ketchup or barbecue sauce
- 4 tablespoons Tabasco sauce or (2 tablespoons paprika mixed with 4 tablespoons olive oil)
- Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (omit this if using chilli powder oil mixture)
- Prepare the wings, cut in half, if needed remove feathers.
- Add sauce over chicken wings.
- Add Tabasco or paprika oil.
- Add salt.
- Mix until all wings are coated in marinade.
- Cover leave in fridge for 30 minutes or so.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place chicken wings on an oven tray.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, turn after 10 minutes so that both sides brown evenly.
- Remove from oven. Serve warm with dip of choice or with a salad.
Did you make this recipe?
How to Store Chicken Wings
You can make chicken wings in advance and store in the freezer. Simply thaw overnight. To reheat chicken wings heat in a moderate oven at 100 degrees Celsius for 10-15 minutes or re heat in the microwave.
What Goes with Chicken Wings
Chicken Wings can be served as a starter or had as a main meal. For starters serve with a dip of choice e.g. barbecue, blue cheese or sour cream dip
As a main meal serve with salad or baked vegetables.
Are Chicken Wings Keto
Chicken Wings can be enjoyed as part of the Keto Diet. This recipe is not Keto friendly since it contains Mango Chutney. Fruit Chutney includes fruit sugar and added sugar.