I found it fitting to post a recipe for whole-wheat scones today, in honor of Mother’s day. Mostly because scones were one of Amma’s most loved and most frequently made recipes. It also requires few ingredients and is simple enough to make. I used the same method for making regular scones but substituted regular flour with whole-wheat flour and poppy seeds. I also omitted sugar, in doing so you can serve these scones with jam, cream cheese or any savory topping of choice.
Whole Wheat Poppy Seed Scones
Recipe by Georgia
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 15 medium sized scones
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- half cup poppy seeds
- 3 level teaspoons baking powder
- quarter teaspoon salt
- 1 medium egg
- 1 50g plain yogurt
- 170 g butter
1. Pre heat the oven to 100 degrees Celsius.
- 2. Cut the butter into squares.
- 3. Add all dry ingredients i.e. whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt and poppy seeds
- 4. Combine the butter and dry ingredients until it resembles breadcrumbs.
5. Set aside.
- 6. Combine the egg and yogurt; add this mixture to the breadcrumb like dough.
- 7. Mix until a soft pliable dough is formed.
- 8. Dust a baking tray or place the dough onto baking paper. Flatten using a rolling pin or your hands until a flat you have a 3-4 cm thick sheet.
9. Use a scone cutter to cut out the scones.
- 10. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.