Soji like Amma Used To Make It
Amma’s soji recipe was quite simple, she often used raisins which I loved while some of my sisters didn’t find too appetizing. She often had two methods for making soji, one was the wedding Soji a rich buttery Soji or the second type which was much softer with a porridge like texture. I often preferred the Wedding Soji since it reminded me of the rare occasions we got to eat Soji…usually at weddings or family functions (not that I enjoyed these..must explain my love for Soji).
Ingredients for Making Soji
- cardamom powder
- whole cinnamon sticks
How to Make Soji From Scratch
2. Once the semolina is brown, add the cardamom and raisins before adding milk.
4. If your prefer Soji less dry then add additional milk or cream for a more rich moist Soji texture.
5. Remove from stove. Serve warm or store in the refrigerator until needed.
Use whole or powdered cardamom. I love the smell of cardamom but find the taste quite unappetizing.For this reason I prefer using cardamom powder rather than the whole version of this spice.
- 250g semolina
- 70g butter
- 2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 750 ml of milk
- 50g sugar ( or desired limit for those with a sweet tooth)
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 175 ml cream
- 90g raisins
- half teaspoon salt
- Heat a heavy-based pan on medium heat. Melt the butter. Once melted add the semolina. Fry until the semolina browns slightly. Take care not to burn the semolina – use a spatula to stir this will allow even browning.
- 2. Add the cardamom powder and sugar and raisins then lower the heat before adding milk. Allow the soji to cook on low heat so that the milk does not boil too quickly.
- 3. Once the liquid is absorbed into the semolina you will see a mass staring to form, simply use a spatula to break this up into smaller pieces. For a richer Wedding Soji texture add liquid cream (not whipped cream) after the milk dehydrates.
- Once the cream is absorbed by the Soji you can remove from stove. If you prefer Soji less dry then add additional milk or cream for a more rich moist Soji texture.
- 5. Remove from stove. Serve warm or store in the refrigerator until needed.
Sat. Fat (grams)
Did you make this recipe?
More Recipes to Try with Semolina