Sausage rolls remind me of school holidays, namely the June – July holiday. According to Amma, school holidays meant a break from school and not from household chores and so at that time of year she set in motion all her spring cleaning projects – in which my sisters and I reluctantly participated. Despite our protests at that time – in these holidays remain some of our fondest memories, especially those of eating our lunch while sitting in our pretend tents – bed sheets strung over the clothes line. This usually took place on Fridays, Amma’s cleaning day. Cleaning day meant no cooked lunch i.e curry and rice but rather one of her baked treats like buns, pies or sausage rolls.
Sausage rolls are one of the easiest recipes to make, especially if you are using ready made pastry. All you need is pastry, sausages and an egg to put together an easy lunch or snack. Not the healthiest but all things in moderation!
Sausage rolls can be made without egg, in this case use milk as a susbstitute to brush the pastry, this keeps seals the pastry once rolled and gives sausage rolls their characteristic golden colour. If you use milk instead of egg then only brush the edge of the pastry to seal it otherwise the sausages would not wrap tightly within the pastry.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Frying time: 15 -20 minutes per batch
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8 medium sized sausage rolls or 16 mini sausage rolls
- 1 pack puff pastry
- 6 sausages
- 1 egg or 4 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat the oven to 100 degrees Celcius. ( or bake according to the instructions on the pastry you are using).
2. Roll out the pastry from the package to a flat sheet. Read the instructions on the package, some pastries require rolling while others are ready to use.
3. Brush the sheet with the egg.
4. Remove the casing from the sausages. Place the sausages at the top and bottom edge of the sheet.
5. Cut the middle of the sheet dividing it into two equal parts.
6. Roll the pastry and sausage until the sausage is covered by the pastry.
7. Cut into desired lengths.
8. Place in on a non stick baking tray. Place in the oven. Turn up the heat to 200 degrees Celcius
9. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Sausage rolls are best served warm.